Great Whites move on to the second round in the FA Trophy after beating Braintree Town 2-1 in last night’s tremendous effort at the Ray Mac.

The home side showed no signs of fear even though “The Iron” reside in the National League – two tiers above Salisbury – much thanks to Darren Mulling’s two goals.

The start of the game was even, with the two teams getting a feel for each other without really breaking through to their final thirds.

The home side was first to take control of the game and created several chances but were hesitant to shoot and played it rather safe.

On 22 minutes, Whites’ Daniel Fitchett took a shot from a difficult angle and the rebound reached Lewis Benson who unfortunately did not get a clean hit and the ball went wide.

Darren Mullings stepped into the spotlight after 24 minutes when he flicked Lewis Benson’s cross into the net with his heel to make it 1-0.

The goal energised Whites and very good play, overall, followed until they made a mistake just outside their own box, giving away the ball to Braintree’s Luke Allen who equalised on 28 minutes.

Allen picked up the ball outside the box and fired off a screamer that hit the post high up and in, no chance for Whites Jake Hallett.

After 1-1 the tempo of the game increased but Whites had the upper hand for the remainder of the first half and would have deserved a 2-1 lead before the break.

The home side came out swinging in the second half and their attacks came in waves and should have scored on minute 50 when Fitchett rounded the keeper in the box and the goal was open – but Mullings got in the way and was called for offside.

Braintree took back control and had some decent chances without reward before Mullings once again hit the net with an excellent goal in the 67th minute.

On a Benson free kick, he volleyed the ball into the corner of the net while being pulled down by a defender to put Whites up by one.

The visitors had more possession for the rest of the game but was never really close to equalise for a second time as Whites gave all they had to protect the lead.

The entertaining game ended 2-1 and Whites will travel to Carshalton Athletic on Saturday for the next round.

Pin It on Pinterest