Salisbury FC had to settle for silver after a quite mediocre effort in the grand final of the Wiltshire Senior Cup.

Swindon Supermarine was clearly the better team at Melksham and won comfortably 3-1, despite scoring an own goal.

The Whites’ starting XI showed intentions of resting players as they secured a playoff spot through their win at Dorchester at the weekend and still have much to play for.

Although Swindon certainly deserved the win, Salisbury could have done a lot more to make it exciting and it was for the most part only Tom Whelan (subbed off on 69 minutes) who tried to make things happen by unlocking Swindon’s defence with long range passes.

The first half belonged to Swindon as they had several chances inside 20 minutes during which Salisbury played sloppy and had a difficult time establishing any control on the enemy’s side of the pitch.

A stunner from Swindon’s Henry Spalding came on 36 minutes. He cut in from the right and fired in to the far corner, out of reach for Jake Hallett.

Swindon’s Matt Williams taps it in, 2-0

Unfortunately, Luke Hopper had to be subbed off due to injury on 39 minutes, a worrying sign going into playoffs.

Throughout the game Salisbury’s defence and midfield looked disconnected and the first real chance came just before half time when Whelan hit a volley high over the bar from outside the box.

Only two minutes into the second half the hill became that much steeper after a blunder from Hallett. He misjudged a free kick and the ball found Matt Williams who could easily tap it in to make it 2-0.

Salisbury picked themselves up slightly and possessed more of the ball as the game progressed, however Swindon’s comfortable two-goal-lead was most likely the reason for that.

Claudio Herbert had an effort on goal on 59 minutes that was cleared on the goal line and fans started to hope late goals would come in as they have several times before this season.

Chris Shephard’s free kick finds the goal

After several decent tries it did happen (sort of) as Chris Shephard’s free kick was headed excellently into the net. It was however an own goal from Swindon’s Joe Shepherd.

Whites pushed for another goal as Swindon instinctively stepped back, but a fumble just outside the box during added time put Stuart Fleetwood in a one-on-one with Hallett from half the pitch and he made no mistake.

The game fairly ended 3-1 and Whites finished second in the Wiltshire Senior Cup, which they frankly did not seem too upset about.

Salisbury gets back into league action on Saturday as they welcome Walton Casuals to the Ray Mac. Kick off at 3pm.

Pin It on Pinterest