On July 22, 1911, the Salisbury & Winchester Journal reported a fire in Station Road, Gillingham, which had occurred in the early hours of Sunday, July 16 at Messrs. Senior and Godwin’s Repository.
The enclosed cattle ring in the centre of the market was burned to the ground. Luckily, there was no wind blowing as it was doubtful the Fire Brigade would have then been able to save nearby buildings, including the Market Hall and South-Western Hotel.
The efforts of the Brigade, which were soon on the scene, successfully prevented the flames spreading to these premises.
The cause of the fire was a mystery, as the building had not been used for a fortnight.