Salisbury Civic Society unveiled a blue plaque to John Marsh above the entrance to Myddleton & Major’s offices at 49 High Street.
The site is one of his former homes in Salisbury. John Marsh (1752-1828) was a notable English composer, instrumentalist, philanthropist, writer and diarist, who composed his first 14 symphonies in Salisbury.
The unveiling was performed by Brian Robins, editor of Marsh’s journals, who spoke about Salisbury’s influence as one of the leading musical centres in the country at that time, on Marsh’s music and his formative years in the city.
Three of Marsh’s symphonies performed by Salisbury Baroque in the Guildhall preceded the unveiling. The symphonies were all composed and performed first in Salisbury.
The unveiling, was attended by Mayor of Salisbury Cllr Mike Osment, and Nikki Savage the Mayoress.