Fireworks bungle to be investigated

Fireworks bungle to be investigated

Emergency treatment was necessary for 14 people when fireworks hurtled into a terrified crowd at a display in the grounds of a 400-year-old hotel.

Now a top level probe has started into how the incident occurred at the Antrobus Hotel in Amesbury, on Saturday evening.

Wiltshire Police said it appeared ‘some of the fireworks, on igniting, had tipped over and fired in the direction of the spectators, including young children’.

The South Western Ambulance Service confirmed that 14 people were treated at the scene “all walking wounded.”

The inquiry is led by the Health and Safety Executive and the Licensing Department of Wiltshire Council.

The council said: “We will be working with our partner agencies and the hotel as we investigate the matter further.”

Yesterday, Damian Kuczera – general manager of the hotel and a member of Amesbury Town Council – promised to support the investigation.”

But he stressed “the safety rules far exceeded requirements” at the community event.

“Fortunately there were no serious injuries.”

The hotel claimed a single display box containing multiple fireworks malfunctioned.

Pin It on Pinterest