Don’t risk a tumble dryer fire

Don’t risk a tumble dryer fire

Tumble dryers are in the spotlight so Dorset & Wiltshire Fire and Rescue Service has issued some timely advice on how to avoid the risk of fire.

Station Manager Graham Kewley said: “Tumble dryers contain powerful motors with fast moving parts that get very hot. If you don’t clean and maintain your machine, excess fluff or lint can build up over time and catch fire.”

Warning signs are: smell of burning; textiles taking longer to dry; dried items feel hotter at the end of the cycle; external vent flap staying shut when the dryer is on.

If so, clean the filter and check the vent pipe immediately.

Always make sure your dryer is in good working order.

Follow the manufacturers’ instructions and don’t overload the machine.

Make sure you have a working smoke alarm, test regularly and know how to get out in an emergency.

Dorset & Wiltshire Fire and Rescue Service offers free Safe & Well visits: www.dwfire.org.uk or call 0800 038 2323.

Pin It on Pinterest