Pop goes the potato

Pop goes the potato

A young mum’s lunch went off with a bang when a sweet potato warming up to go with her salad exploded in her microwave.

Rochelle Cottrell, 25, took the blazing potato out of the microwave and put it on a kitchen surface before staggering to safety from her home in Ludgershall.

She had to have oxygen after suffering severe smoke inhalation.

Yesterday, Rochelle, a careers advisor for injured war heroes, admitted: ”It really was a bit scary. I somehow pulled the burning potato out of the microwave. I then somehow got out. I was groggy and it was very thick smoke.”

Four fire fighters dashed to the scene after she managed to raise the alarm and extinguish the blaze. South Western Ambulance Service said: ”We treated her at the scene for 30 minutes.”

Rochelle said she and Tom, her 25-year-old husband, loved eating sweet potatoes with their salads.

“But I will do them in the oven next time. I am not normally allowed in the kitchen – my husband does the cooking,” Rochelle said.

Rochelle is a careers advisor employed by the forces employment charity Help For Heroes, helping wounded, injured and sick war veterans.

 

Pin It on Pinterest